Click here for upcoming trainings
TSCI Resource Guide
Transgender Health, Advocacy & Community Organizations
- UCSF Center of Excellence for Transgender Health: Transgender Terminology and Definitions. www.transhealth.ucsf.edu/trans?page=guidelines-terminology
- Trans Ally Workbook: Building Skills to Support Trans People in Our Lives by Davey Shlasko. Updated 2017 edition: www.thinkagaintraining.com/shop/. 2014 edition (free PDF): fyp.washington.edu/downloads/TransAllyWorkbook.pdf
- For facilitators: The Teaching Transgender Toolkit: A Facilitator’s Guide to Increasing Knowledge, Decreasing Prejudice & Building Skills by Eli Green and Luca Maurer. www.teachingtransgender.org
- Trans Lifeline: Crisis hotline by and for the transgender community. (877) 565-8860. https://www.translifeline.org/
- UCSF Center of Excellence for Transgender Health: Guidelines for the Primary and Gender-Affirming Care of Transgender and Gender Nonbinary People. www.transhealth.ucsf.edu/trans?page=guidelines-home
- TransLine – Free Transgender Medical Consultation Service. http://project-health.org/transline/
- Transgender Mental Health Website (by Ami B. Kaplan, LCSW) https://tgmentalhealth.com/basic-issues-in-transgender-mental-health/
- American Psychological Association: Guidelines for Psychological Practice With Transgender and Gender Nonconforming People. https://www.apa.org/practice/guidelines/transgender.pdf
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) Standards of Care for the Health of Transsexual, Transgender, and Gender Nonconforming People: www.wpath.org/publications/soc
- Transbucket.com – photos of gender-affirming surgery results and reviews of surgeons.www.transbucket.com
- Freeing Ourselves: A Guide to Health and Self Love for Brown Bois by the Brown Boi Project
Transgender Patients in Healthcare Systems:
- National LGBT Health Education Center: A program of the Fenway Institutewww.lgbthealtheducation.org/topic/transgender-health
- Lambda Legal: Creating Equal Access to Quality Health Care for Transgender Patients: Transgender-Affirming Hospital Policies. https://www.lambdalegal.org/publications/fs_transgender-affirming-hospital-policies
Transgender Legal Services and Advocacy:
- Transgender Law Center. transgenderlawcenter.org
- National Center for Transgender Equality – Social justice & advocacy organization. www.transequality.org
- Trans Student Educational Resources – youth-led organization dedicated to transforming the educational environment for trans and gender nonconforming students through advocacy and empowerment. http://www.transstudent.org
Transgender Youth and Family Support:
- Gender Spectrum – information and training for families, educators, professionals, and organizations, helping them creating gender-sensitive and inclusive environments for all children and teens. www.genderspectrum.org
- Gender, Spirituality and Faith Traditions: https://www.genderspectrum.org/explore-topics/faith
- Central Toronto Youth Services, “Families in Transition: A Resource Guide for Families of Transgender Youth.” Available online at http://lgbtqpn.ca/wp-content/uploads/woocommerce_uploads/2009/04/Families-in-TRANSition.pdf
- PFLAG – organization that supports the families, friends and allies of LGBTQ people. PFLAG has local chapters across the United States, including groups specifically for families with transgender children. www.pflag.org
- The Family Acceptance Project at San Francisco State University – a research, intervention, education and policy initiative that works to promote physical and mental health for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender children and youth by increasing family acceptance and affirmation in the context of their cultures and faith communities. http://familyproject.sfsu.edu/
- The Human Rights Campaign’s Transgender Children and Youth page – resources for families, community members, school officials and more. www.hrc.org/explore/topic/transgender-children-youth
- Trevor Project Lifeline: 1-866-488-7386. For LGBT youth (ages 24 and younger) contemplating suicide. Offers text check-ins as well. Website: www.trevorproject.org
- San Francisco: Genderrific Caregiver Support Circle @ SF Friends School, 6:00-7:30-pm, 4th Tuesday of the month, firstname.lastname@example.org
San Francisco Bay Area Transgender Resources
- Lyon-Martin Health Services. In SF, for women and transgender people. http://lyon-martin.org
- San Francisco Community Health Center (previously API Wellness). In SF, LGBTQ & POC health organization and clinic. http://apiwellness.org/
- Dimensions Clinic. LGBTQIQ youth clinic in SF. http://www.dimensionsclinic.org
- Gender Health SF https://www.sfdph.org/dph/comupg/oprograms/THS/default2.asp
- UCSF Child and Adolescent Gender Center (CAGC), clinics in SF, Oakland and San Ramon. https://www.ucsfbenioffchildrens.org/clinics/child_and_adolescent_gender_center/
- Tom Waddell Urban Health Center’s Transgender Clinic. In SF. http://www.sfhealthnetwork.org/primary-care-3/tom-waddell-urban-health-clinic/
- Kaiser Oakland: Transgender Care (Multi-Specialty Transitions Department).https://thrive.kaiserpermanente.org/care-near-you/northern-california/eastbay/departments/transgender-care/
- Kaiser San Francisco: Gender Pathways Clinic. https://thrive.kaiserpermanente.org/care-near-you/northern-california/sanfrancisco/departments/gender-pathways-clinic/
- UCSF Transgender Care. https://transcare.ucsf.edu/welcome-0
- Transvision at Tri-City Health Center. Both trans and HIV clinic services, groups, and more in Fremont. http://tri-cityhealth.org/medical-services/hiv-aids-program/transvision-brandi-martell-project/
Community Spaces & Mental Health
- TRANS:THRIVE at San Francisco Community Health Center. Drop-in center, groups, events, and more. http://apiwellness.org/transthrive
- LYRIC. Center for LGBTQ youth in SF. http://lyric.org
- El/La Para TransLatinas. Many services and community building for trans Latinas.http://ellaparatranslatinas.yolasite.com
- Our Space. Services for LGBTQ youth in Hayward, including events programming, therapy, and more. http://www.baycyouth.org/lgbtq-community-center.html
- The Pacific Center. LGBTQ mental health and wellness services in Berkeley, including individual therapy and groups. http://pacificcenter.org
- SF LGBT Center. http://www.sfcenter.org
- Oakland LGBT Center. www.oaklandlgbtqcenter.org
- Dr. Marci Bowers. Many MFT and FTM procedures (primarily bottom surgeries). https://marcibowers.com
- Dr. Esther Kim, UCSF. MTF and FTM chest surgeries. https://transcare.ucsf.edu/content/esther-kim-md-plastic-reconstructive-surgery-chief-surgery-ucsf-transgender-care
- Kaiser (see under clinics)
Spiritual Care Resources
Organizations and Websites:
- TransTorah – website with resources to help people of all genders to fully access and transform Jewish tradition, and to help Jewish communities to be welcoming sanctuaries for people of all genders. http://transtorah.org
- Transfaith – a multi-tradition, multi-racial, multi-gender organization working to support transgender spiritual/cultural workers and their leadership in community. www.transfaithonline.org
- Transforming Hearts Collective – social justice collective working to help faith communities practice radical inclusion and dismantle oppression in all of its forms. Offering online courses, such as “Transgender Inclusion in Congregations.” www.transformingheartscollective.org
- Unity Ministries: LGBT Spiritual Resource Center. www.unity.org/resources/lgbt
- The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Religious Archives Network. www.lgbtran.org/
- TransBuddhists.org – Website with a blog by/on transgender Buddhist practitioners. They also offer the guide “Developing Trans* Competence: A Short Guide to Improving Transgender Experiences at Meditation and Retreat Centers” for free download: transbuddhists.org/retreat-guide
- Screening for Spiritual Struggle in an Adolescent Transgender Clinic: Feasibility and Acceptability. Grossoehme DH, et al. J Health Care Chaplain, 2016. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26901280
- Compassionately Caring for LGBT. Saunders, Sarah. Journal of Christian Nursing, 2012. http://nursing.ceconnection.com/ovidfiles/00005217-201212000-00009.pdf
- Understanding Spirituality and Religiosity in the Transgender Community: Implications for Aging. Kidd, Jeremy. Journal of Religion Spirituality & Aging, 2008. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/233033724_Understanding_%20Spirituality
- Spiritual Care for Gender Affirmation Patients: Themes and Issues in a Small Case Series (Talk at the 2017 US Professional Association for Transgender Health). http://uspath2017.conferencespot.org/uspath64082v8-1.3432109/t002-1.3432833/f001-1.3432869/0852-000086-1.3432905
Online Articles and Resources:
- Transgender Sensitive Spiritual Care: Some Best Practices for Providing Spiritual Care to Transgender Individuals Through Illness, Grieving, Death and Life Transitions, by Rabbi Elliot Kukla. http://www.transtorah.org/PDFs/Trans-Sensitive-Spiritual-Care.pdf
- Pastoral Care in Transgender Experience, by Rev. Erin K. Swenson. www.welcomingresources.org/pastoralcare
- “Transitioning to Inclusion: A Guide to Welcoming Transgender Children and Their Families in Your Community of Faith.” A resource from the Center for Lesbian and Gay Studies in Religion and Ministry by Kelsey Pacha. https://clgs.org/multimedia-archive/transitioningyouthresource/
- Spiritual Care for Transgender Patients: a video recording of a Grand Rounds presentation by Rabbi Jo Hirschmann, for the Mount Sinai Center for Transgender Medicine and Surgery and the Mount Sinai Office of Diversity and Inclusion. https://www.facebook.com/CSHatISMMS/videos/767691003409160/
- PlainViews: Special Issue Focuses on the LGBT Health Care: https://www.lgbtagingcenter.org/resources/download.cfm?r=522
- Human Rights Campaign: Gender Identity and Our Faith Communities: A Congregational Guide for Transgender Advocacy (2008). https://www.hrc.org/resources/gender-identity-and-our-faith-communities-a-congregational-guide-for-transg
- Care Quality Commission. Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Transgender People: A Different Ending – Addressing Inequalities In End Of Life Care. https://www.cqc.org.uk/sites/default/files/20160505%20CQC_EOLC_LGBT_FINAL_2.pdf
- Does my transgender identity conflict with Buddhism’s teachings on no-self? by Sallie Jiko Tisdale, Narayan Helen Liebenson and Andrew Holecek. https://www.lionsroar.com/does-my-transgender-identity-conflict-with-the-teachings-on-no-self
Books and Publications:
- Alexander, Scott W., Riley, Meg, and Kron, Keith, eds. The welcoming congregation handbook: resources for affirming bisexual, gay, lesbian and/or transgender people/Unitarian Universalist Association, Office of Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian, and Transgender Concerns. Boston: Unitarian Universalist Association, 1999.
- Beardsley, Christina and O’Brien Michelle, eds. This is my body. Hearing the theology of transgender Christians. London, Short Press Run Ltd., 2016.
- Bilotti-Stark, Kathryn. “Compassionate awareness and transformation: the relevancy of mindfulness teachings and practices in chaplaincy and spiritual care”. Master’s Thesis, Graduate Theological Union, 2012.
- Cobb, Mark, Puchalski, Christina M., and Rumbold, Bruce. Oxford textbook of spirituality in Healthcare. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012
- Dillon, Michael and Jivaka, Lobzang. Out of the ordinary: a life of gender and spiritual transitions. New York: Fordham University Press, 2017.
- Dowd, Christopher. Transfaith: An Exploration Of Gender In The Church From The Margins. Doctoral thesis. http://etheses.bham.ac.uk/5936/1/Dowd15ThD.pdf
- Giles, Cheryl A. and Miller, Willa B., eds. The Arts of Contemplative Care: Pioneering Voices in Buddhist Chaplaincy and Pastoral Care. Boston: Wisdom Publications, 2012.
- Isherwood, Lisa and Althaus-Reid, Marcella, eds. Trans/formations. London: SCM Press, 2009.
- Lindner, Cynthia G. Varieties of Gifts. Multiplicity and the Well Lived Pastoral Life. London: Rowman & Littlefield, 2016.
- Mollenkott, Virginia Ramey and Sheridan, Vanessa. Transgender Journeys. Cleveland: Pilgrim Press, 2003.
- Mollenkatt, Virginia Ramey. Omnigender. A trans-religious Approach. Cleveland: The Pilgrim Press, 2007.
- Swift, Christopher. Hospital Chaplaincy in the Twenty-first Century (2nd ed.). Burlington: Ashgate Publishing Company, 2014.
- Tanis, Justin. Trans-gendered. Theology Ministry and Communities of Faith. Cleveland: Pilgrim Press, 2003.
- Tigert, Leanne McCall and Tirabassi, Maren C., eds. Transgendering Faith. Cleveland: Pilgrim Press, 2004.
- Weekly, David Elias. Retreating Forward: A Spiritual Practice with Transgender Persons. Eugene, OR: RESOURCE Publications, 2017.
Liturgies:TransTorah: Ritual and Liturgy. http://transtorah.org/resources.html